Zero Dark Thirty Tops Box Office with $24 Million
Zero Dark Thirty was a bright spot at the box office over the weekend.
The drama about the hunt for Osama bin Laden landed in first place over the weekend, earning an estimated 24 million dollars. The film opened in theaters nationwide on Friday following a very limited release last month.
Zero Dark Thirty no doubt benefited from the fact that it earned five Oscar nominations last week, including in the best picture category.
The horror spoof A Haunted House opened in second place, collecting 18.8 million dollars. The star-studded drama Gangster Squad rounded out the top three, with a 16.7-million-dollar debut.
After topping the box office last week, Texas Chainsaw 3D tumbled all the way to ninth place, raising just 5.1 million bucks.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. Zero Dark Thirty, $24 million.
2. A Haunted House, $18.8 million.
3. Gangster Squad, $16.7 million.
4. Django Unchained, $11 million.
5. Les Miserables, $10.1 million.
6. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, $9 million.
7. Lincoln, $6.3 million.
8. Parental Guidance, $6.1 million.
9. Texas Chainsaw 3D, $5.1 million.
10. Silver Linings Playbook, $5 million.
Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.org